What is Voltarol 12 Hour Emulgel?
Voltarol 12 Hour Emulgel is a topical pain relief treatment that contains the active ingredient diclofenac.
What is Voltarol 12 Hour Emulgel used for?
The treatment can be used to treat a variety of different aches and pains for up to 12 hours after each application. These include:
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain
- Swelling around the elbow or knee
How does Voltarol 12 Hour Emulgel work?
Diclofenac, the active ingredient in Voltarol Emulgel, belongs to a family of medicines known as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). They work by reducing the amount produced in the body of a chemical called prostaglandins, which are one of the body’s biggest contributors to inflammation.
How long does Voltarol 12 Hour Emulgel take to work?
For typical muscle aches, pains and injuries, Voltarol will begin to work one to two days after beginning treatment. For more serious or chronic pains, such as arthritis, it may take a week for the gel to start working.
How should I use Voltarol 12 Hour Emulgel?
Squeeze a small amount of gel onto the affected area - equivalent to the size of a one or two penny piece. Rub the gel into the skin until it is absorbed, and then wash your hands.
Voltarol should be applied twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening, for best results. You should not use Voltarol longer than two weeks without consulting your GP.
Who can’t use Voltarol 12 Hour Emulgel?
Most adults and children aged 14 and above can use Voltarol safely. Children aged 13 and below should not use Voltarol.
Voltarol is not suitable for some forms of pain. Do not use Voltarol, and call your doctor immediately, if you:
- Feel ill, have a fever, or any other symptoms alongside the pain
- Have severe joint pain that started recently and is not related to injury or overuse
Do not use if:
- You are allergic to diclofenac or any other ingredient
- The affected area has a rash, eczema, cuts, or open wounds
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
Talk to your doctor before use if:
- You have a history of asthma
- You have a history of stomach ulcers, perforation or bleeding
- If you are treating a large area, or using treatment for longer than 2 wee
How should I store Voltarol 12 Hour Emulgel?
Voltarol 12 Hour Emulgel should be stored in a dry, cool environment that does not exceed 25°C.
What are the side effects of Voltarol 12 Hour Emulgel?
Voltarol usually has no side effects for most people who use it. However, some people may experience:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, e.g. skin rash, blisters, hives, wheezing, breathlessness, swelling - call 999 immediately if you begin to experience any of these symptoms
- Skin rash, itching or reddening of the skin
- Increased skin sensitivity to sunlight
Always read the patient information leaflet before commencing treatment.